For the few of you who are unaware, the Classics Spin is a semi-annual event in which The Classics Club asks bloggers to pick 20 classic novels from their list (you can find mine here), and then the Club will pick a number at random. It’s the blogger’s job to then read the book on their list that corresponds to the number the club picked. Got it?
[Edit, Aug. 24: I’ve highlighted my Spin pick in the list below.]
Here it is again:
- List any twenty books you have left to read from your Classics Club shelf.
- Number them from 1 to 20.
- On August 24th, the Classics Club will announce a number.
- This is the book you need to read before October 23rd (for my purposes, by Week 9).
Here is my Spin List (in random order thanks to Random.org/lists):
- Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (1719)
- Miss Julie by August Strindberg (1888)
- Dune by Frank Herbert (1965)
- Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee (1955)
- Wicked by Gregory Maguire (1995) <—- Winner!
- The Princess Bride be William Goldman (1973)
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle (1962)
- The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie (1988)
- The Stand by Stephen King (1978)
- Hamlet by William Shakespeare (1602)
- The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (1996)
- Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (2004)
- The World According to Garp by John Irving (1976)
- Doubt by John Patrick Shanley (2005)
- The Once and Future King by T. H. White (1958)
- Fire from Heaven by Mary Renault (1969)
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding (1954)
- The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart (1970)
- The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (1844)
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1884)